Savory Oatmeal with Mushrooms and Egg
Did you know that oats is a natural resource of melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep and wake cycles which makes trytophan more access to the brain..
And let's be honest sometimes breakfast for dinner is just a great idea. Here's a quick, easy and savory "brinner" to try.
Steel cut oats // Gluten free oats to try Zēgo
2 Tablespoons Miyokos vegan butter
1/4 piece sweet onion or red onion, chopped or sliced thin
handful mushrooms, sliced
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup vegetable broth or vegan no chicken broth
1 teaspoon Bayou Classic-ish salt free spice blend
1 egg or Just Egg vegan egg
Additional topping options:
red pepper chili flakes
chopped spinach and chives
chopped green onions
1. In a small skillet on medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon vegan butter, onion and mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms lightly browns and onions crisp tender. Remove vegetables from skillet once cooked. Do not wipe out skillet, you will need it for your egg/vegan egg.
2. In a small pot Add all ingredients except egg and rest of butter to a small pot and stir.
3. Cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
3. Lower heat and add a lid. Stir frequently. If too thick, add more broth or little water. I like to remove the pot from the heat once its cooked and let it sit for a couple of minutes to thicken and then add a little more broth and give it a quick stir.
4. While oats are almost done. Heat your skillet again on medium heat. Add rest of vegan butter and your egg. Add a lid on and let egg steam until cooked to your preference. If using vegan egg product, just scramble until cooked.
5. Add savory oats to bowl just before adding toppings.
Give Easy Creamy Oatmeal for A Fast Break a try